Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Doing Some Correcting

Well, sort of. All I had was my other sandwich for dinner and a serving of the Jicama fries I made, .4lb gain and it sort of freaked me out. I'm sure it was due to all the salt but, just to play things safe, I opted not to have breakfast (save my coffee) or lunch. I hope it helps. I guess we'll see what happens in the morning.
yesterday. I had a

I have two more servings of the fries yet. Interestingly, they didn't lose their zest and were just as good, if not better, than they were yesterday. I'm eager to try making the Jicama chips recipe I found. Just in case I lose it or if anyone else is left reading this blog, here it is:

INGREDIENTS:
6 oz. peeled jicama
Peanut oil 1″ deep for frying (only 1T. calculated in nutritional info below)
Dash sea salt, black pepper optional

DIRECTIONS: Set some papertoweling on newspaper by your stovetop for draining purposes. Next, peel and slice jicama VERY thin. I used a Rival fold-up slicer set on the thinnest setting, but a mandoline set on the thinnest blade setting would also work. It will take a very adept slicer to get it thin enough slicing with a knife by hand……not sure you can really. My food processor doesn’t slice this thin with either of the blades I have, but maybe you have a thinner blade than I. But if knife in hand is all you’ve got to work with, slice it as uniformly thin as you can. Bear in mind you will have to cook it much longer to get thicker slices to brown enough to get them truly crispy. You’re aiming for 1/16″ thick. Heat oil in a deep skillet or deep fryer. Drop about half the slices in so as not to crowd or cool off the oil too much. The bottoms will begin to brown first, so I flipped mine over several times to get the most even browning. You want these quite brown, but of course, not burned. Any white areas in the center will NOT be crispy, but rather chewy. But if these are browned well, they will be crisp even after they cool off! I was most impressed with that fact. When brown, lift out of oil with slotted spoon onto awaiting paper towels. While still hot and oily, sprinkle with salt and pepper if using. Fry the second half of the chips, drain and season. These are best served hot, but will stay somewhat crisp even when cool, if they are browned properly.
NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes about 20-25 chips (depends on how yours are cut). Entire batch contains:
184 calories
13.7 g fat
15 g carbs, 8.3 g fiber, 6.7 NET CARBS (for the entire batch)
1.2 g protein
196 mg sodium


I pulled this from the low-carb friends site and "Peggy" was the author. Much respect to her skills because the fries were awesome!

Here's what I had today in "log" format:

October 1st, 2013 
1,106 772 0 772
Food Item Servings Cals Fat Cholest Sodium Carbs Sugars Fiber Protein
Caribou Coffee Coffee With Steamed Milk 1.00 70 0g 5mg 100mg 9g 9g 0g 7g
Carl's Jr. Low Carb Burger 1.00 550 42g 120mg 1,320mg 7g 3g 1g 38g
Enchantress's Spicy Jicama Fries 1.00 152 10g 3mg 50mg 4g 2g 2g 9g

Totals
Cals Fat Cholest Sodium Carbs Sugars Fiber Protein


772 52g 128mg 1,470mg 20g 14g 3g 54g

0 comments: