Wednesday, May 12, 2004

Money Changes Everything

You know, I really hate money. If I had my choice, I would annihilate the monetary system altogether. We would have those replicator doohickies like on Star Trek and our existence would be only "to better ourselves". I'm totally with that. Money is definitely the root of all evil.

Now, with that said, knowing that I can't function without money and that life in the 24th century will never be a reality for me, I want enough of it to take care of things. I want to be able to take a vacation when I want to, without worrying about the bills being taken care of or starving. I want to be able to walk onto a used car lot when my little one is sixteen, ask her to pick out the car she wants, then lay down the cash for it without blinking (with the understanding, of course, that she would be responsible for maintenance and insurance). Is that too much to ask for? And, why am I on this money kick, you ask? Well, I was thinking about the way loaning money or bargaining with money can change relationships, especially friendships. Not that I've loaned anyone a substantial amount of money or anything, but we did bargain with some on an item. The deal was that my hubby would supply this item to a coworker here (who I'm friendly with, but we're not best buds or anything) and Monday, the money for said item would be given to him. A regular, sale with no strings attached. Well, co-worker decides to take a vacation day on Friday, which is fine. Then, Monday, she calls in sick. Tuesday, same thing. She's here today, but no mention of said transaction. Not sure if she's forgotten or what, but because I hate dealing with money so much, it's starting to bug me. True, it's only 9:42 am, but what if she decides to play "memory loss" for the entire week? This was no small item and I know hubby will be calling today to see what's going on with his money. I'm not only dealing with the money, but I'm also in the middle. What, joy. Am I being persnickety? Probably, but where else am I going to vent?

Today was weigh day. I'm at 166, which wasn't a surprise or a heartbreak (considering last week's fast, and this week's "mystery" TOM. Not sure if next week the real TOM will decide to show her face. If so, I'm probably looking at another week of flux with the number on the scale. So far, the week's been pretty good on the exercise front: Each morning, this week, I've dragged myself out of bed for 30 minutes of cardio before work. Then, it's another 30 minute cardio workout during lunch. Two more days (counting today) of that and I'm done, well, sort of. Friday, I'll do the morning routine, then it's off to lunch during my lunch hour. Saturday, I'll do 45 minutes in the morning and probably take my little girl swimming in the afternoon. It's amazing how going swimming at a public wave pool can crush and boost your ego, all at the same time. We'll see how it goes.

0 comments: