Friday, August 13, 2004

Nostalgia Bits

I talked to my best friend in the world, yesterday afternoon, for approximately 90 minutes (from work, no less). It was the best conversation I've had in a long time. It's times like those when I remember how desperately I miss having her around. Phone calls are great, but in-person is so much better.

We were talking about all sorts of things, but the stuff that had me in hysterics had to do with an event that took place about 8 or 9 years ago. Now, you have to understand my friend, who I'll call "T". She is very, very conservative with a bit of a wild streak. She's also very value responsive, believing that sex should be saved for marriage (she'll be thirty on her next birthday and is still a virgin). We have a similar up-bringing in that respect. In fact, my hubby was my first (although, I couldn't wait for marriage...believe me, I tried.) There are lots of things that are complete opposites, when it comes to us: she's tall, I'm short; she majored in business, I majored in the arts; she's very conservative, I'm quite liberal. Somehow, we make it work (in math terms, we cancel each other out). If I had to choose one word to describe "T" it would be prudish (It used to be really bad. When we saw our first "R" rated movie together, she kept hiding her face during the sex scenes. Give me a break!).

So, back to the event. It was late winter, or early spring. People on campus were promoting more parties and social activities, as the weather began to warm up. While strolling through the University Center (UC) we noticed a flyer for a "Male Revue". Well, I was intrigued and so was "T". We both decided it would be great to go together. When "T" told my roommate she wanted to go, my roommate looked at her in total shock. "You're going to the male revue, " she kept saying. Soon, others in our crowd found out that "T" was going. No one could believe it. So surprised and pleased was my roommate that "T" would even buck-up long enough to wan to go that, she volunteered to drive all of us. We even wore pseudo matching outfits (I didn't remember this part until "T" told me yesterday) - silk shirts and black jeans. So, off to the male revue we went.

When we got to the club, they had replaced all the regular lighting with red light bulbs. It definitely set the tone for the evening. The crowd chairs were set up in a semi-circle (that, I'm sure was designed to give everyone opportunity for a "feel up".) Still in disbelief that "T" was even there, we all sat in a pretty accessible area.

After a few minutes, the music started, the spot-light came on, and out came a gorgeous, chocolate man...gyrating and shaking all around the dance floor. "T" was mortified. While all the girls were chanting and yelling for the guy to, "Take it off", I thought my friend was going to go into convulsions from screaming in horror.

"What did you think was going to happen," I said to her.

"I thought it was going to be a fashion show!"

Miscommunication or a bit naive? You decide. At any rate, it was hilarious the rest of the evening because she kept trying to hide from the dancers, everything they came around her. When one tried to sit in her lap, it was all over. She pushed her chair out of the semi-circle and waited for the show to end. The rest of the guys were people we knew on campus, two of which were like our big brothers so, watching a brother trying to swerve around the floor made us a bit ill.

We laughed about it yesterday (thank goodness for maturity). We also talked about she and her boyfriend of three years, finally getting married next June. She directed me to a site that showed the dress she'd like. We talked about bridesmaids dresses and her color being royal blue. I can't wait! I've never been in a wedding and I'm sure being in a wedding where you're already married is much easier than being in one and still being single. The babe would be in the wedding too, since "T" is her God-mother. What a beautiful flower girl she will make!

Wow! I've been logged in for hours. Better stopped putting this on the back burner and go ahead and publish this puppy.

0 comments: