Thursday, April 29, 2004

Conjunctivitis

My romantic lunch with hubby was cancelled, not because of him or me, but because of a sick child. The daycare called at around 9:15 am on Tuesday to tell me that the babe had a very red eye and was rubbing it incessantly. When I went to pick her up, it was almost completely shut, poor thing. She was so pitiful. I had been trying to call her dad to let him know that I couldn't make lunch, but I kept getting his voicemail (he was in training). Turns out, he was training in the same building as my daughter's daycare. I found his truck and went looking for him. We talked about where to take her (since the doctor's office only had a 4:40 pm appointment available and that was too long for her to wait for relief). We ended up at the Instacare around the corner.

We arrived at 11:42 and didn't leave until 1:30. That's a long time for a little kid and two worried parents to wait around. She had not had her lunch or her nap yet, so she wasn't a happy kid. Nevertheless, she hung on like a trooper and allowed the doctor to do all her tests. Just as we all suspected, it was pink eye. We took the little one home and I administered the drops (not a pleasant experience for either one of us). By then, it was around 2:00 and none of us had eaten yet. Hubby took us all to Golden Corral and I did a pretty good job. Unfortunately, I have noticed a pattern with eating out: even though I do pretty well, restaurant food is usually loaded with sodium. This aids in holding on to every drop of the 64 ounces of water I drink. I feel like I become one of those really sturdy ziploc bags that holds everything in so tightly. Why can't I be the cheap, knock-off brand that opens at the slightest touch, releasing everything one tries to store? Again, I will have to wait a few days to see a real difference in my weight again. I'm glad that next week will be more on the normal side (hopefully) since I don't have any lunches planned.

The babe is doing better today, but her eye is still quite red. I hope we did a good job of washing hands and sterilizing because I don't want this to spread to her left eye. Thank goodness the doctor prescribed two doses of this stuff, because if it does spread, I don't want to have to wait two hours at an instacare, just for a prescription. Good Lord!

0 comments: