Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Positive Steps and Calla Lilies

After having a day filled with negativity, I worked very hard to make things positive. I had a going-away lunch with two co-workers. The one who isn't leaving (but wants to) griped about her boss a lot at the lunch (the co-worker who is leaving, shares the same boss with her). It's amazing how bad things are in other departments. Not that the situation is any better, but there are others who have it a lot worse. It really put things into perspective.

Despite all the negative talk, I worked hard to change the subject and find non-work related topics to talk about. It worked for the most part and I found that I felt so much better. I think that I achieved a small goal in doing this. I also played new age music all day to help with my mood. It worked! I have it on today as well. The only problem is that it takes me back to darkened, candlelit rooms with warm massage tables. I have to be careful not to fall asleep.

Last night, my hubby announced that he would be digging up the fern plants he planted on the side of our house. They are a bit out-of-control, at the moment. (Oh, let me just say it: the west side of my house looks like a freaking jungle). He purchased tulip and calla Lilly bulbs.

I have three favorite types of flowers: Birds of Paradise, Orchids, and Calla lilies. The Birds of Paradise because of my youth. Growing up, we had several growing outside of the bay window at my house in California. I loved them and they always made me feel better. I was also transfixed when watching the humming birds that flocked to them. I love orchids because of their exotic beauty. How can you not love a purple flower? Both of these cannot be grown in this climate (way too dry and both flowers thrive in tropical or temperate climates). Calla lilies signify spring,Easter and new beginnings. When he told me he was planting them, I actually felt joy. Isn't that funny? The thought of a particular flower made me feel joy. I can only imagine how I'll feel when they bloom next year.

Currently, I'm eating some of hubby's southern-fried catfish and grits. A true southern delight! The word "fry" may have leapt out at you, but not to worry. We only fry in extra, virgin olive oil these days (and frying in my house is a rarity). The fat content really isn't that bad and I'm getting oodles of protein. I'm going to sound like a hypocrite now but, we will be frying again in the next couple of weeks (I promise, we really don't do this much). Hubby wants to have a fish fry for some of our friends and family. He said something about doing hushpuppies too, but I don't know of any low-fat hushpuppy recipes. I can usually find low-fat, low-cal alternatives for most things; however, some things were just made to be fattening and won't taste nearly as good any other way(cheesecake, anyone?). Perhaps will skip them altogether and do a nice pasta salad. Hey, that actually sounds pretty good. Another good idea created from almighty blog!

The gym is still running their Olympic competition. I'm doing quite well (number 1 or 2 in my company, I think). I know what the first prize is and it would be so cool to get it. (I won't mention it here. Don't want to jinx my chances. Let's just say it's a trip to a place where lots of haute couture can be found). I don't know what the group or individual prizes are. I think I mentioned, before, that I hoped it wouldn't be a dumb T-shirt or water-bottle. Since I'm listening to all this new age music, how about ten free massages?? I could totally get into that!

0 comments: