Friday, July 16, 2004

I Be a Writer

I did some digging around on a consultant site and found an opportunity to write, part-time. The person I emailed got back to me pretty quickly and said that they had narrowed the list down to only a handful of people (including myself). Woohoo! This could be just the jump-start I need to get a little extra income in the house. With hubby not able to take overtime anymore, our finances have been really crappy at times. Don't get me wrong, we're not in the poor-house, but we're definitely not prepared to have any major castrophes happen. (You know, they tell you to have at least two months worth of pay saved up for emergencies). I suppose, if worse came to worse, I would just borrow against my 403b, but I'd hate to do that. They tax you to death when you do that.

Anyway, I'm kind of excited. Any time I've contributed something with my writing, I've always had good results. In graduate school, I submitted a piece that was requested for a live presentation. Several local "heavies" listened to me read my short-story. I once submitted a piece for a radio contest and won. Another time, I submitted a short essay for an online contest and received a consolation prize (hey, I didn't win, but I did get something out of it). I really think this is the profession I'm supposed to be in. True enough, my job requires that I write all the time, everyday, but not in the way that I would like to.

I had two, great workouts today. This morning, I pumped away on the treadmill. This afternoon, I glided away on the elliptical. This evening, we're supposed to start painting our bedroom. That's a workout in and of itself! I'll be glad when it's over, but I'll sure love the results (walls and arms alike). We were supposed to start earlier this week, but hubby bought more plants and flowers and had to take care of those each afternoon after work. My hubby - the green thumb.

This Saturday, I plan on taking yard sale items to a local consignment shop, Kid to Kid. They buy toys and clothing and I hope to get a little bit for some of the better items that didn't sell. We tried to take them after the yard sale, but they were swamped and had no where to put anything. It looked as if someone dropped exploding boxes of clothes all over their back counter. What a mess! Hopefully, I won't have the same problem if I get there early enough.

No big plans for the weekend, other than that. I am getting excited about my impending days off, in the next couple of weeks. I still think I'll sell back the Superman set and buy the halter I was talking about. I'm also thinking that I'll go ahead and do the bronze thing next week. If the summer keeps flying along like it's doing, I'll be too "bright" for the fall, and I like a darker hair color during the fall. Right now, it's a rusty red from all the sun exposure. Never seen a red-haired black woman? Take a look at Chaka Khan. I think the big day will be July 21st. If I'm anywhere in the 150's, I won't feel the least bit guilty about bumping up the goal prize (especially with all the drama these goal prizes have become).


0 comments: