Friday, May 01, 2009

Something is Definitely Wrong

I went through this whole spiel, yesterday about not taking in too much salt... how I need to watch my salt intake and how that was certainly part of the culprit to my weight not moving down. So, what did I do? I inhaled the salt, married the salt. Hell, I think I had babies with the salt. Check out this travesty:

Food Item Servings Cals Fat Cholest Sodium Carbs Sugars Fiber Protein
Smith's Buttertop Wheat Bread 2.00 120 2g 0mg 300mg 24g 4g 2g 0g
Sun Chips Peppercorn Ranch 1.00 210 9g 0mg 240mg 25g 3g 3g 3g
Oscar Mayer Variety-pak (white Turkey) 1.00 60 3g 20mg 500mg 2g 0g 0g 6g
Quaker Instant Oatmeal Cinnamon And Spice 1.00 170 2g 0mg 250mg 35g 15g 3g 4g
Planters Daybreak Blend Trail Mix 1.00 130 5g 0mg 40mg 19g 13g 2g 3g
Snow Crab Legs 4.00 380 5g 236mg 2,288mg 0g 0g 0g 80g
Betty Crocker Mashed Potatoes (roasted Garlic) 1.00 170 7g 0mg 350mg 22g 4g 1g 4g
Recipe Baja Beans 1.00 431 5g 0mg 214mg 86g 5g 13g 0g
Totals: 1,671 38g 256mg 4,182mg 213g 44g 24g 100g

Over 4,000mg! According to the daily plate, that's 174% of the daily value of salt I should be taking in. Granted, I drank nearly 80 ounces of water, but still! I need to be drinking that kind of water with only 1,500 to 2,400 mg of salt per day. How do I do that?

I'm checking a site right now and here is what it says:

"
suggested Foods Foods To Be Avoided
MILK & DAIRY 2-3 servings each day

All milk and milk products except (buttermilk, Cream cheese, Low sodium cheese, Yogurt)

MILK & DAIRY

Buttermilk, Cheese , Cheese spreads

FRUIT & VEGETABLES 5-9 servings each day

Fresh or frozen vegetables, No added salt or low salt canned vegetables, tomato products,

Salt-free vegetable juices, All fruit and fruit juices

FRUIT & VEGETABLES

Canned vegetables, Frozen vegetables with seasoning and sauces, Pickle relish, sweet or sour, Pickled Vegetables, Bottled tomato juices, Pickled Fruits

BREADS & GRAINS 6-11 servings each day

Bread and rolls, Dry and cooked cereals, Pancakes, waffles, Potatoes, Salt-free (potato chips, pretzels, noodles, spaghetti, macaroni and other pastas, Tortillas, crackers, popcorn)

BREADS & GRAINS

Breads and rolls with salted tops, Instant hot cereals, Instant Food Products, Popcorn, Prepackaged Microwave, Salted popcorn,Saltines, potato chips, pretzels, snack chips,

MEATS & MEAT SUBSTITUTES 2-3 servings or total of 6 oz daily

All fresh and fresh frozen meats, Canned unsalted tuna fish

MEATS & MEAT SUBSTITUTES

Cured, salted, canned or smoked meats, poultry or fish

FATS & SNACKS (use sparingly)

Margarine, vegetable oils and lard, Unsalted gravies, unsalted butter, Mayonnaise, sour cream, Salt-free salad dressings, Homemade salad dressings without extra salt, whipping cream, Sugar, honey, jelly, jam, syrup, candies, fruit ice, marshmallows,Homemade cookies, pies

FATS & SNACKS

Butter, Commercial salad dressings, Cheese-based dressings, Bacon fat, fatback, salt pork, Instant pudding mixes, Commercially prepared baked goods, Salted nuts


I'll try to use this as a guide today and see how I do. I did buy a frozen meal for lunch today and I was discriminating the sodium amounts for each carefully as I decided on which meals. If I can minimize the salt at breakfast and dinner, I should be okay. I'm going for 80 ounces again of water, if I can. It wasn't as tough as I though it would be (I just love my new water bottle. It's perfect in every way for me...and it's purple!). Here's to a low sodium day.

0 comments: