Monday, May 01, 2006

FitPrime - Wow, it's serious...


So, I took on Susan Harris' Floor Burn last night for the first time and I gotta say, I took it like a trooper...but oh man. This DVD is no joke! My butt was screaming during the dog kicks and leg turn outs. She brings in the tall box from the firm videos, weights and a towel. I noticed she only has five-pounders...gone are the twenty-pounders she hefts in the Firm Volume 1.

You use the tall box to stabilize your body, but that also allows your leg more room for movement. Thus, more intensity...thus, more butt burning. Yikes! The stretching segment at the end is true Firm (Anna Benson gets the credit, I'm sure). I love how it allows for gaining flexibility. The yoga segments are pretty good, but I wish they'd slowed the music down more. When I think yoga, I think peace and tranquility. Birds chirping, ocean waves, kokopelli music and the like. They continue the hip hop beat that is found throughout the video, granted it's at a slower pace but it didn't allow me to "get into" the yoga like I wanted to.

That being said, that's the only complaint I have. I do like the music, actually. The set is very basic but there are not so subtle throw backs to the Firms of old with a bust on a pillar in the corner and some lace strewn around, Susan works out on a sort of oriental rug/mat...a little odd. Susan is alone with only her box, towel and weights to keep her company. She's an awesome instructor, concentrating on form and good, solid repetitions. I always enjoy her style of teaching. Instructors that are constantly screaming at you or (ahem) encouraging you along (Denise, please shut up!) are such a turn off. I especially dislike the ones that are working out with you, all of a sudden stop, and show you how your form should be on another participant on the tape. (Uh, Billy Blanks, do you hear me?) I mean, I know they're already in shape and really don't have to work the whole program, but I certainly appreciate it when they do. It's like, "I know, you're going through this and it's tough so, I should too, if only to keep you motivated" mentality. The only time showing form on others is acceptable is if you do it along with that person. Leslie Sansone is good about this.

Okay, so this totally turned into a review but I did want to show that I'm truly back on track. It's the first of the month and the first of the week. No better time, eh? Hubby has the workout room all set up, I might as well use it. Besides, I'm just so tired of being "large and in charge." I can certainly be "small and in charge". I'm wearing a size 14 today and it's a perfect fit. Yep. That pretty much did it for me. It's time to get back into those 8s. Sweat on, my sisters. Sweat on!

0 comments: