Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Sigh...

The vacation is over....sigh (again). It was wonderful and very much needed. We spent all of last week in Daytona Beach, Florida at the Ocean Walk Resort. As you all may remember, last year when I was busting my butt at the gym daily and losing tons of weight and looking fine, I won the gym's Olympic competition's, top prize - two, round-trip tickets to anywhere JetBlue flies. Well, it has taken me this long to use them (figuring out logistics and so forth was what was so time consuming). The babe and I used the JetBlue tickets, while hubby flew Delta. It really worked out nicely because we weren't sure he would even be able to go with us. Then, we found this great rate and he didn't even have to have a layover! (Lucky duck!)

We flew into Orlando and then drove to Daytona Beach. Consequently, this is also where my grandmother lives, so the trip was a two-fold venture. I believe it was probably the best Mother's day she's had in a long time - her son (my dad), me and her great-granddaughter, all there to visit her. She was so happy.

We would spend around thirty minutes to an hour with her each day. You know, that was about all we could stand. Don't get me wrong, although I was happy to see her again and was eager for her to get to know the babe, she can be really negative, cantankerous and crochity (like so many older folks). It starts bringing you down after while and we were on vacation, weren't we? I think she needs to stop watching the news so much. I mean, she literally watches it all day, along with whatever religious programming she can find. I guess that's a balancing out for her, but it only depressed me.

We ate soooo much. I can't even believe it! It was completely overboard and I know it. I don't regret anything, but I do know that I'm going to have to put in some serious overtime with the workouts, if I'm going to get off this vacation weight. It was Long John Silver's, Crabby Joe's and steamed crabs galore, for us. We also partook in some decadent Italian one night that was to die for! I still can't believe we ate as much as we did.

Aside from eating, we were also doing touristy things like shopping and visiting attractions. We didn't do Disney world because the babe still isn't tall enough for a lot of the rides it would have been heart-breaking for her not to do what she wanted, and way too expensive for us just to go to a park, not ride anything and walk around. We did, however, visit Beach street and all the shops along that strip. We also went to the park and were pretty much greeted by about a hundred squirrels. There aren't many here in Utah, so it was a treat for the babe to see them and see how tame they were.

Finally, last Thursday, we went to Ponce De Leon inlet and the Marine Center in Ponce Inlet Florida. We got to see the sea turtles that they save and do a nature trail. It was a lot of fun, even though it was hot as hell. I really can't complain, though. It was in the 80's the entire time with about 70% humidty. It could have been a whole lot worse. If we'd waited even one month, I think we would have melted down there.

Of course, we swam a lot and enjoyed all the amenities of the resort (including the bar). I had my first Hurricane and drank it in the jetted, garden tub in our room. I nearly drowned in there! That sucker packs quite a punch for a mixed drink.

All in all, I have to say it was one of the best vacations I've ever been on (I still think our Vegas/Oceanside adventure is number 1). I'm rejuvinated and ready to start tackling the job hunting again, even though I'm so not looking forward to it. I'm also not as bitter on the road with the drivers. I guess it's just good to realize when you need a "time out" and I probably should take more of them (even if it's just getting away for the weekend). Hubby and I talked about this very thing upon our return. It's just good for your mental sanity (which gets ambushed on a daily basis).

To get going on my workout, I started on the elliptical Monday but took yesterday off. I walked on the treadmill this morning and really felt the effects of being off my workouts for a week. Yikes! It was tough! My eating habits still aren't great, so I'm going to have to take some drastic measures. As soon as I get my spreadsheet back in order (Yep! It's back to the spreadsheet because that is what works for me.), I'll post my weight (even though I cringe to think of what the number is now. Oy vei!!).

0 comments: