Wednesday, May 04, 2005

No work, at work

Yesterday, we got a jolt from a power outage, at around 3:30 pm. The lights blinked out and so did several computers. Mine remained on, but didn't do a thing. After about ten minutes of walking around talking to people about the strangeness of it all, we were told that the power would not come back until 7:00 pm, and we should all go home (but we wouldn't be paid for leaving early). Isn't that nice? Well, it was only forty-five minutes until I had to leave and I'm usually here a half hour early everyday anyway, so no skin off my back. It was, however, nice to get home and relax a half hour sooner.

Today, we came in to no Outlook server. Well, that's my life's blood, when it comes to work. Therefore, I'm blogging to my little heart's content, until there's nothing left to blog about. Isn't it funny how dependent we've become on our use of the computer? Ten years ago, I could have completed lots of work without the need to enter my email. Now, it's all I do all day. It is my inbox and tasks for daily work. Everything I do is email (with a little internet work on the side). Even that is acting fruity. (I just clicked on the link again and it's still not up. I've been here since 6:59 am. It is now 9:00 am). I couldn't even work from home, today. Craziness!

I spent the first hour talking to my best friends about all the stuff that went down with my sister. Honestly, it felt good to divulge to her...it really did. For some reason, playing "true confessions" with my best friend made me feel better than telling anyone I've told so far. She agreed with me on so many aspects...sincerely agreed, not the "I'm-your-best-friend-and-I'm-suppose-to-agree" agreement, you know? I expressed my concerns about attending the graduation this Friday and all my fretting seems to have been lifted, somewhat. All I can do is pray that I get through it...the bonus is what's to come after, if I do: Clarity of mine and a week's vacation from work (well, the second part was coming, regardless).

We also talked about her impending wedding in July and all the craziness of planning. She seems to be holding up well. I told her that I picked up my dress on Monday and that it was absolutely beautiful. We then pondered about the ridiculousness of David's Bridal and their insistence that we buy the dresses at the same store because of die-points and the possible mis-match of the other bride's maids with mine. Whatever! My dress came with tags and everything! Do they tag the dress after it's dyed? Or, do they have a bunch of dresses in a warehouse that they just ship out when called upon? I believe the latter and so does my friend. Otherwise, do they just have a bunch of white dresses sitting in a warehouse waiting to be dyed, and if so, do they stitch on the blue beading and sequins after? How in the world would fabric dye take on white sequins and beading. It wouldn't! It would act just like marker on glossy paper and just smear away. And, they wouldn't have a bunch of white dresses with blue beading (or whatever color dress you're picking out) sitting around in a warehouse, would they? How economical is that? It doesn't make any sense at all.

Well, we pondered that for a while, then left it alone to talk about my daughter and her great time at our local amusement park. She's such a little thrill seeker. Then, my best friend talked about her nephew and how he's the same way, except he's also a games player too (which drives her crazy). Spending dollar after dollar to flip a disc on a coke bottle is not our idea of a good time.

The phone rang and I just talked to my hubby for a half hour. Time is really flying now (snicker, snicker). I also just tried the outlook icon again. Still, nothing.

Okay, so now I'm going to make a bunch of appointment, personal calls to kill some more time. Then, go to the gym at 11:30. This looks to be a really productive day (snicker, snicker).

0 comments: