Friday, March 26, 2004

A Long Night's Journey into Night?

Talk about not having all of your cylinders firing. Normally, I'm in bed by 8, 8:30 at the latest (yeah, I know) because I get up at 4:00 (yes, that's am); however, last night, I decided to be little Miss Stubborn and prove to my hubby that I could meet all the expectations of getting our house clean for company tomorrow (I know, it must have been the sausage I had for dinner...the nitrates were affecting my brain). So, I started the laundry.
Now, this may not seem like a big deal, but our dryer is a used Queen Speed that doesn't work worth a crap. It takes at least two cycles for anything to get dry (can you say, c..on...ser...va..tion?). Therefore, starting at 7:00 would mean the laundry wouldn't get done until around 4 or 5 in the morning (see, I told you it was the nitrates). Anyway, at around 9 or so, I started getting really sleepy so, what did I do? I changed and hopped on the treadmill (it just gets better and better, doesn't it?) Thirty minutes later, the endorphins were popping and I was raring to go, but hubby was so irritated with me that he just left (that was at around 11:30). Half an hour later, he's back and ready to talk. I wasn't and coped an attitude for another 30 minutes. Finally, I realized what an ass I'd been and began to rationalize (about time, right?).
So, around 1:45 am this morning, we turned in (after make-up sex, of course. So I guess it was really around 2:30). The alarm played it's melodious church bells at 5:30 and for the first time I silently cursed every cathedral ever made. So, I have 30 minutes to get myself and my three year-old ready. Pretty good, huh?
Well, what have I learned from this experience? First, you gotta know when to bend. It isn't worth trying to win every argument, nor is it worth trying to prove something to your husband, when there's nothing really to prove. I actually got the reality check from him that my job is really starting to get to me more than I thought. It's time to go, but where to go when the economy sucks? Guess I gotta wait till Kerry gets elected.
As for today's dietary note, I purchased a big log of Canadian bacon at Sam's club last night. Four slices (one serving) is only 60 calories and 1.5 grams of fat. I've been trying to find protein sources to eat with my breakfast that don't completely kill the point of the process (most sausage and bacon is so fattening, just smelling it will put on the pounds). I've been doing the garden burgers and Morning Star sausage, but that's too expensive. I can't stand yogurt (it's the texture or something...it's always been hard for me to eat...that and Jello. Can't do jello either). This alternative should work out nicely, as long as I can tolerate the taste. Hey, McDonald's uses it, so it must be okay! Also, with last night's extra walk, that puts me at three workouts, yesterday (and no need for one today, in my opinion). Happy weekending!

0 comments: