Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Getting Started

So, I finally, finally, finally got started with my workouts tonight. Hubby, who normally sleeps till seven, wanted me to wake him up at 4:30 (my normal time to be home). I tried to talk him out of this early rise time, but he insisted that I do it. When I got home, I went straight to our room and roused him. The next thing I knew, he was getting dressed.

"What time does the babe need to be at dance class?"
"Well, it starts at 5:15, so I usually leave at 5:00."
"Should I take the baby?"
"What are you talking about?"
"I'm going to take the babe to dance class, so you can get your cardio in."

Well, how about that! So, off he goes with the kids and I'm left to my own devices. Normally, this would have been the perfect time to sneak in a jetted bath or a favorite movie, but I knew what I had to do. Down the stairs I went to meet my destiny...our treadmill. It looked welcoming, almost happy to see me. It warned me that I would start off well, but the discomfort would soon appear (itchy legs from all the jiggling fat, lower back soreness, fatigue), but not to give in to them and work through the discomfort. It encouraged me and reminded me of all the good times we shared in the past, as well as many late night walks to relieve family stress. It also hinted that I should start off slow and ease back into my routine. I heeded its advice and started at 2.0, warming up for five minutes. By the sixth minute, I was up to 3.2 and doing a really good job of pacing myself. I know that 3.7 and 3.8 are not far from me, but I also know it's been almost a year since I've walked aerobically. I should definitely take my time.

Well, I should have been sweating buckets, but I didn't even glisten the entire time. Dehydration. I am not drinking nearly enough water and I'm retaining serious water anyway because of TOM. Well, that will change tomorrow. I washed my big, 32 ounce cup and will take it to work tomorrow. Eventually, I will need to get down at least two of those bad boys before the end of each day. Phew! It's gonna take me some time to get back to that place for sure.

Finally, here are the stats: I had 2 packets of raisin and spice oatmeal for breakfast, along with decaf Chai tea. For lunch, lo mein and tofu with water and for dinner, a healthy choice chicken and veggie meal with Sunny D fruit punch (yes, I know. I should have had water). I walked 1.75 miles in 35 minutes (this includes the 5 minute warm-up and cool-down), burned 191 cals and 70 some odd fat cals. The goal is to get up in the morning after baby's last feeding and try to get some toning in. If that doesn't happen, hubby's got my back on Friday and Saturday to complete my three workouts this week. Wow, and I didn't even think I'd get them. I'm stoked!

0 comments: